Seth and I were at the floating pontoon at Eastern Beach when he announced that he’d caught something in his net. He said that it looked like its guts had fallen out, which we’d seen happen with sea cucumbers. The end of the worm was swollen and had red near it, which seemed to confirm some of of injury.
I got photos from different angles to see if I could identify it later. Yet, I was reminded of how some spaghetti worms at Apollo Bay had looked out of the water.
It looked different to one of the terebellid worms I’d found in Apollo Bay harbour. In this post, I shared two species of spaghetti worms I had found. I didn’t get any super close photos of the top species, as I only had my phone camera with me at the time. But the body looked more smooth than this one.
I wasn’t sure whether this actually was a terebellid worm so put it back in the water.
I was right!
You can see the branchiae in the bellow photos. It took me a while to figure out what branchiae – they are the red thingies before the main cream coloured tentacles. There is a slight physical difference but the detail isn’t good enough.
I have now seen three different species. Am hoping to find more.